Monday 31 December 2012

Seriously ?

As the whole nation is flooded with a wave of cries screaming " Capital Punishment for RAPISTS" , I think it's only apt to post about it.
I will not deny that it is indeed heartening to see the country finally rise up to face the reality that the women and girls of our society no longer feel safe in their own homes, in their own streets, in their own city, in their own country ( although it is sad that a brutal and horrifying nightmare was required to wake the country from its slumber when it came to dignity of women but we will focus on the bright side here as if there isn't darkness already).
The country has been stirred up by the "event" ( I prefer to just leave it to call it the "event" as recalling it fully is still to mentally disturbing for me and I hope for many others) .
The sad part is however that no matter how loud and shrill is the call for security for our women it remains no more than am illogical shout more like a child demanding justice for his broke toy for the entire "movement" is revolving around one single demand for "Capital Punishment". To those people I want to ask one simple question: Seriously?
That's it . That's all you can think of. The entire country is bowing its head in shame. And all you can think of is flogging the few beings ( for I refuse to call them men) responsible so that you can shrug off your own responsibility in the entire event.
I seriously don't think that a being prepared to rape ( also I chose to gender neutral on the issue) will be in the right frame of mind to give a damn about your "Capital Punishment". No. It won't have a major effect. But you know what will. Changing your and others mentality. Now I know it's easier said than done and I won't consider myself enlightened enough to give you ways but for starters: Respect Women.
I think I'm done.




1 comment:

  1. Firstly, this photo is a false one being circulated on FB. The father lodged a complain over it so please remove it from your blog.
    Coming to your post now, respecting women is the thing it all comes to ultimately. I wish people changed their way of thinking. Nicely written- powerful and strong.

    ReplyDelete